South Charlotte Recreation Association (SCRA) offers a fun and competitive brand of basketball played at a variety of gyms throughout the South Charlotte area including: Ardrey Kell High School, South Charlotte Middle School, Marvin Ridge Middle School, Endhaven and Polo Ridge Elementary School. Our point of emphasis is providing fun, developmental and enjoyable recreation for all program participants. We stress positive coaching and an environment where all children are given the opportunity to have fun and learn the game of basketball. Our focus is on fun but each child will also be given the opportunity to learn valuable fundamentals of basketball and life like teamwork, sportsmanship, commitment, and hard work.
For more information please contact:
SCRA Basketball Commissioner
WELCOME TO THE SCRA 2019 - 2020 BASKETBALL SEASON
The South Charlotte Recreation Association been around for decades and has provided a high quality basketball league for thousands of girls and boys in our community over the years. We are rated as one of the top youth basketball programs in Charlotte. This year we hope to continue the tradition of excellence. And in the spirit of continuous improvement, we want to make some enhancements and changes to our league in order to improve the experience of all of those in our basketball community - players, parents, coaches, refs and fans. We will highlight some of those changes below.
We have developed four guiding principles that will drive everything we do with the league.
We want all of our participants to:
1. Have fun
2. Get Better
4. The foruth is strive to achieve league PARITY. Competitive balance is something that we strive to achieve every year. It’s an ambitious goal but spreading the talent around helps the league avoid lopsided blowout games and allows more themes to be competitive and have more fun.
Listed below are some of the things you can expect to for the 2019/2020 season:
1. This year, as every year, we want to encourage positive attitudes, sportsmanship and fair play and respect from the entire SCRA basketball family - players, coaches, parents and fans. Our code of conduct policy includes our required Standards of Behavior agreements for ALL players, coaches and parents. We will provide forms on this website that must be signed and submitted to league officials during the mandatory evaluations by all players, coaches and parents before the draft. Players registration shall be considered incomplete until both the players and parents forms have been submitted.
2. We will extend the registration deadline for Middle School student-athletes trying out for their school teams. However, we strongly encourage you to register your child early even if they are trying out for the school team. And if they DO make the team we will make a special exception to our no refund policy and refund your registration fees without penalty.
4. Mandatory evaluations for ALL players. All players must participate in the evaluation process inorder to participate in the draft process. The evaluation process is he key to creating competitive parity across the league. We will hold multiple evaluation session to give every player an opportunity to attend a skills evaluation session. This will NOT apply to the Instructional Division. There NO evaluations required for the Instructional Division
5. Any player that misses the evaluation may NOT be drafted by ANY team . Instead they MUST be assigned to a random blind "hat pick" in the draft pool.
6. We do NOT allow intact teams or AAU teams for the boys league. This rule will also prohibit more than two players from the same boys AAU or other organized travel team from playing on the same team. This rule does NOT apply to the girls league. Additionally please be advised that parental requests, car pooling or requests for specific coaches requests are NOT factors considered for team placement. We believe this is critical to our ongoing efforts to establishing and maintaining the competitive balance across the league.
7. The girls league will no longer have restrictions on playing with friends and team mates from other sports.
8. We will have coaches clinics in November and player clinics/ camps later in the season. Details to be announced soon.
I am looking forward to having an exciting and fun-filled season of basketball. Should you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me at
2019 - 20 Key Dates
Sept 5th - Registration opens
Oct 25th - Online Registration closes at Midnight (except for Middle School player tryouts)
Oct 26th - 27th - Player Evaluations for U8, U10, U12
Nov 4th - 7th - Players will be assigned to teams
Nov 9th - 10th - Teams first weekend practices
Nov 11th - 15th - Week night practices begin
Nov 23rd - 24th - First weekend of games
Feb 8th - 9th - Final weekend of regular season games
Feb 15th - 16th - First weekend of playoffs games
Feb 22nd - 23rd - Championship weekend
PAYMENT POLICY: Online payment is expected at time of registration. Unpaid registrations will be automatically moved to the waitlist after 2 days. Your spot is not guaranteed unless the league receives payment.
REFUND POLICY: The SCRA allows refunds ONLY BEFORE a player has been drafted and placed on a team. There will be a $50 administrative fee per player on all refunds requested. Once a player has been drafted or placed on a team, NO REFUND will be issued.
*The permissible ONLY EXCEPTION to this policy is for players that make their middle school teams.